"Bake them a cake, write them a poem, give them a kiss, tell them a joke, but stop trashing the planet to tell someone you care." George Monbiot
Can you feel the pressure mounting to find the perfect gift within budget? Well - here's an idea - do as Mr Monbiot says and show you care in a different way, here are 8 ideas from us.
1. "KFC Add Hope funds are used to feed children from birth to 18." This includes feeding at Early Childhood Development Centres, schools and soup kitchens. theSQUAD are proud to work with them and to have helped launched their 1120under5.com campaign. They accept Add Hope donations from as little as R2.00.
2. Host a year-end doodle session at the office or for your friends. It’s easy and fun and you’ll be happy to see how many people are keen to be involved in giving back a little. The charities benefiting from your generosity are Dlala Nje, Everybody Love Everybody (ELE) and Paballo Ya Batho. Choose a date, choose a time, choose a theme, invite people and get doodling.
3. "As you interact with people throughout your day, give them a heart as you feel moved."
Spreading Hearts is on a mission to open the eyes of our heart, to see and love one another, step out of our comfort zones and bring more peace and goodwill to the world, one little pewter heart at a time. When you buy RED Spreading Hearts a contribution is made to (RED)’s fight against AIDS.
4. “We don't have to continue holiday traditions that leave us broke, overwhelmed and tired.” Rachel Jonat
How not to need a holiday after a holiday? Slay the Chaos suggests saying 'NO" more often. Make a stop doing list. Be where you are. Let an invitation settle before responding. A simple “no, but thank you” is a perfectly fine reply.
5. Thanks to our Squidley, Deolinda, for this suggestion.
Rainbows and Smiles provide emotional, social and financial support to families and caregivers in need when a child (or children) of that family is diagnosed with cancer. You can support them by giving blood platelets (helping a child with leukemia), donating money or helping with their wish list.
6. “Even if it is a little thing, do something for which there is no pay but the privilege of doing it.” Albert Schweitzer
If you're not sure about how to become a volunteer For Good is a great place to start. They have a comprehensive list of FAQs including national campaigns with exciting ways to give back, plus a great list of items needed for donation.
7. A Million Voices
LOVE. The beautiful emotion that connects all of us. The NSPCA work hard to ensure that our country’s animals feel the depth of human love.
To take action you can adopt a project, shop to support or add your Voice and be part of something truly special. Take the #WeLoveYou Pledge.
8. “The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” B. B. King
You can also give the gift of learning via an online course on Udemy for comparatively little. You'll find everything from guitar lessons to design to personal development. An audio book from Audible is also a memorable way to tell someone you care.
Contact: Kelly McGillivray